Alyssa Carter, a Library Paraprofessional with the Ed Robson Branch of the Maricopa County Library District, presented our first WebEx class to thirteen of our members. Alyssa covered a variety of electronic databases available through the library free of charge for any one with a library card.
Visit the Maricopa County Library District website mcldaz.org and see the opening page where you can learn how to get a library card. Also the drop down menus for eMedia, Research, and Learn are displayed. Click on them to view the many options. Below are samples of what’s available.
The eMedia portion covered:
* Overdrive: Access over 200,000 eBooks, magazines, and audiobooks
* Hoopla: With a wide variety of popular audiobooks, eBooks, music, movies, and TV programs
* Kanopy: With over 25,000 video titles, Kanopy gives customers access to things like classic films, Great Courses, and documentaries.
* Freegal: Allows customers to download (and keep!) up to five songs per week and allows streaming 24/7.
* Flipster: Almost 40 magazine titles readily available
TumbleBooks: Online books for kids! TumbleBooks makes reading fun with animation and music!
* Consumer Reports:Consumer Reports is dedicated to unbiased product testing, consumer-oriented research, public education, and consumer advocacy.
The Online Learning portion included:
* Gale Courses: Free online courses that you can take. Class subjects range from business to personal development. These courses are six weeks with one start date each month!
* Learning Express Library: Learn new subjects at your own pace with the Learning Express Library! These modules give customers the opportunity to learn new subjects without the pressure of traditional course deadlines.
* Rocket Languages: Learn a new language with Rocket Languages! This resource gives customers the opportunity to learn languages using listening, speaking, and writing skills.